The Making of Falsetto 2 – Sleeves and Other Details


Here is the second post on the making of my Falsetto cosplay! The first part, which covers the making of the coat base can be found [here]!

The sleeves were most definitely the single most time consuming element of this costume. Patterning them was simple enough, but each sleeve is comprised of 14 separate pieces!The lantern sleeve shape was achieved by sewing together these two large pieces to make an outer sleeve. The outer sleeve was attached at the arm with an inner sleeve, which was shaped as a normal sleeve would be, and stuffing all the space in between the two sleeve pieces.

IMG_1130The sleeve panes were essentially just tubes made from velvet. I sewed 20 feet of pearl trim to the edges by hand; it was one of those projects that was tedious but enjoyable in it’s simplicity. 


All the raised details on the belt and the belt buckle were made from thin cardboard. It was as simple as cutting out the shapes and then lightly scoring all the lines before folding them. The base of the belt buckle is Wonderflex wrapped around a craft foam base. The cardboard I used was only a little thicker than a cereal box and when painted gold the texture actually seems metal like.   

IMG_1123 20140730_120636 20140725_204119

The giant bell was lots of fun to make. It was my first project involving Worbla and it was amazing to see how flexible and versatile a material it is. I started by wrapping it around a giant Styrofoam ball. Then using an Exacto knife and Dremel I cut out the bell details. After I sanded a primed the surface I was able to dig all the Styrofoam out and was left with the hollow shape. To get it to ring when I moved and walked I stuffed a real bell inside and tied it up at the top when I attached the bow.

20140723_132150 20140730_180845Bell

I wish I had some shots of how I made the shoes and bracers but I forgot to take photos as I finished them very last minute the day before the convention.

Please let me know what you think of these posts! I know these first two were a little sparse but I covered a lot of the things I was searching google for in the beginning myself!

Thanks for reading!


The Making of Falsetto 1 – The Floating Tails

This is my first time documenting a costume as it was being made. I forgot to photograph several steps and a lot of my photos are less than ideal. Bear with me through these first couple posts; I promise my next documentation will be more organized and comprehensive.

– – – – – – – – – –

I recently got a PS3 and I knew the first game I needed to play was Eternal Sonata. The lavish costumes and rich storyline make this game a cosplayer’s dream.

The making of this costume was unlike anything I have ever attempted before. The biggest challenge was actually figuring out how I was going to build it with no visible closures, but still be able to get into it. The second problem was that I knew I wanted the tails of the coat to stand out but had no idea how.

Cosplayers are always presented with an interesting challenge: How to make something that defies all laws of gravity, physics and known methods of garment construction?


To start, I pinned some super stiff interfacing (The stuff that is almost like buckram) to my mannequin in the shape of the tale that I wanted. I then draped my coat pattern over that.

Falsetto Coat Pattern
When I drape I typically focus on the seams of the garment first, then I will mark where I want the edges to be. This jacket took a few tries and even after I thought I had the shape I wanted I ended up changing my pattern pieces and making another mock-up.

To keep the tails sticking out I had to make a structure that could keep shape on its own and not be damaged by average wear and travel. I opted to use the thickest, stiffest interfacing I could get my hands on and made a base.


Unfortunately the tales didn’t want to keep any type of curve without additional support to hold shape so I opted to cut long, wide strips of Wonderflex and hand sew them to the inside of the interfacing. The reason I chose Wonderflex and not a cheaper material, such as wire, was that I didn’t want to use anything that could get bent or misshapen from transportation or a crowded convention hallway.

I melted hundreds of holes along the edges of my strips using a wood burner and then sewed them onto the interfacing using heavy-duty thread.


I was then able to pin the support onto my mannequin and heat the strips of wonderflex one at a time and hold them until they cooled. Once cooled wonderflex will hold its shape reasonably well but still flex and bend.  Once the wonderflex was shaped the tails looks exactly as I had hoped!


I made a similar structure for the bodice, as the finished jacket would have no front, and thus no closures, I needed to make sure my underlying support structure was perfectly fitted and stiffened. Essentially I created a fully boned corset type shape, with no front panel which I basted the tail structure to and….


It’s beginning to take shape!
At this point in construction I was overjoyed that the shape looked more magical than comical.

That’s a general summary of how I created the base structure of my jacket. A second post on the creation of the sleeves and some other details can be found [here].

Thanks for reading!